Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions. If you have any questions which are not answered in this section, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Where does the name Evans Vanodine originate?
- Evans was established in 1919 by William Charles Evans in Salford Manchester, The Vanodine name, a mixture of the words 'Evans' and 'iodine', was added to show the importance of iodine based products to our Livestock division. Evans Vanodine is still a family run company based in Preston, in the North West of England.
- Does Evans Vanodine manufacture its own products?
- Yes we manufacture our own chemicals and products in our modern, 100,000 square foot factory. Advanced production facilities involve the use of 10,000 and 14,000 litre stainless steel and heavy duty polyethylene tanks together with multi-head filling lines, complete with automatic capping and labelling machines. These advanced facilities ensure that substantial quantities of products are always in stock.
- Where can I buy Evans Vanodine products?
- We sell our product range through a network of national and international distributors. To find the nearest UK stockist, please contact our UK sales office on 01772 318800/1 or e-mail email@example.com If you are based outside the UK please contact our Export department on +44 (0) 1772 322200 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- What is your delivery turnaround?
- We aim to get your order out to you within 3-5 working days; however, this can fluctuate depending on our volume of orders. A next day delivery service is available. To find out more about a particular order, please contact our despatch department on 01772 318814.
- What time can I collect my order?
- We require at least 4 hours' notice between placing your order and collection. You will need to book a collection time slot with our Sales Team, the first collection slot of the day is 8.30am and then at half hour intervals. We do have the facility to collect up until 11.30pm, however orders for evening collections will need to be placed during our office working hours, before 4pm (or before 2pm for same day collections).
- Does Evans Vanodine have any products that pass BS EN 1276 (European Test Standard for disinfectants)?
- Yes, our Catering Hygiene, Washroom and Disinfectant ranges include sanitisers that pass EN 1276 (Est-eem, EC4 Sanitiser, Final Touch, Clean Fast, Protect, Odour Neutraliser, Pynol, Safezone and Vanoquat). See individual product pages for dilutions and contact times and Microbiological Profiles.
- Do Evans Vanodine washing up liquids kill bacteria and pass BS EN 1276?
- No, there is no washing up liquid on the market that will kill bacteria at the recommended dilution rate for washing crockery. Products sold as washing-up liquids are detergents designed to remove fatty food residues from the surfaces of food utensils.
There is no legal requirement to use bactericidal washing up liquids in food business premises, though these have been asked for in the past. If disinfection of crockery is required, a chlorine solution (such as Evans Chlor Tabs) may be used for soaking crockery and utensils after cleaning with washing up liquid. For a more detailed explanation, our laboratory has compiled a document which you can download HERE.
Evans Guide to Cross Contamination wallchart is also available via download from our Brochures & Leaflets section HERE or upon request from our Sales office on 01772 318800. Further guidance from The Food Standards Agency (FSA), and document downloads, can be obtained via their website HERE.
- Does Evans Vanodine have any disinfectants that are effective against Norovirus?
- Yes, Bleach (Evans Cyclone, Evans Bleach or Evans Chlor Tabs) can kill Norovirus. A concentration of 5000ppm chlorine (1:10 of a 5% Bleach) is recommended. Disinfectants based on quaternary ammonium compounds (QACS) have been shown to be ineffective against this virus. Alcohol hand gels have also been shown to be ineffective. See the Health Protection Agency (HPA) website for guidance HERE.
- Does Evans Vanodine have any disinfectants that are effective against E.coli?
- Yes, Clean Fast, E:Dose Sanitiser, Est-eem, Final Touch, Odour Neutraliser, Protect, Pynol, Safezone and Vanoquat have all been tested and found to be effective against E.coli using the European test method EN 1276. See individual products for dilutions and contact times.
- Does Evans Vanodine have any disinfectants that are effective against Clostridium difficile?
- Yes, Bleach (Evans Cyclone or Evans Bleach). Health Protection Agency (HPA) Guideline recommends surface disinfection with chlorine based product and reinforcement of hand washing and hand hygiene (alcohol hand gels do not kill spores of Clostridium difficile).
- Does Evans Vanodine have any disinfectants that are effective against TB?
- Yes, FAM 30 is an approved disinfectant for use against TB in animals at a rate of 1:20, it is listed on the Defra (Department for Environment and Rural Affairs) website. We do not have products that have been tested against human TB.
- Is Vanodine V18 effective against coccidiosis?
- No, coccidiosis is a disease caused by protozoan micro-organisms that produce oocysts as part of their life cycle. Sometimes coccidiosis is used as a general term to include cryptosporidiosis.
Cryptosporidia, for example Cryptosporidium baileyi and Cryptosporidium parvum, cause cryptosporidiosis in poultry and calves respectively and Eimeria tenella and Eimeria bovis cause coccidiosis in poultry and calves respectively. The oocysts of Eimeria and Crytosporidia are very resistant to disinfection, with even the strongest farm disinfectants being ineffective.
- Is Fam 30 effective against Johnes disease?
- No, tests have been carried out with FAM 30 against the causal agent of Johnes Disease – Mycobacterium avium subsp paratuberculosis. Control is complex and guidance is given on the Defra (Department for Environment and Rural Affairs) website HERE.
- What is your environmental policy?
- Evans Vanodine is committed to developing chemicals which comply with all the relevant European legislation, providing optimum performance with a minimal effect on the environment. We have achieved accreditation by the British Standards Institution under the Environmental Management Standard ISO 14001.
One of our many aims is to reduce the creation of waste in as many situations as possible. To find out more please visit our dedicated environment website www.evansgreentick.com
- Are your products safe for the environment?
- Yes and No. We believe the various expressions referring to cleaning & hygiene chemicals such as 'Safe to the Environment' or 'Environmentally Friendly' are contradictions in terms as every chemical has some impact on the environment. There are various schemes used in Europe to determine environmental impact but none takes into account all of the relevant factors.
For this reason one of our experienced research chemists, Sandra Wright, devised a unique system for assessing the overall impact of a product taking into account the formulation, manufacture, use and disposal of a product. Each product is analysed in order to produce a score. The lower the overall score, the lower the impact it has on the environment. Products which achieve a low impact rating are identified by a green tick logo on the label and are known as part of the 'Green Tick' range.
To find out more about the system and to discover which products are low impact, visit our Greentick site www.evansgreentick.com/product-impact-on-the-environment
- What is the best product to clean / disinfect?
- There are many factors to bear in mind when choosing a cleaning product. Often the main points to consider are Where? What? and Why? are you cleaning / disinfecting. If you would like help or advice choosing the right Evans Vanodine product for your task, please do not hesitate to contact our Technical Department on 01772 322200.